Redefining the hybrid model
Thales College combines online coursework with in-person seminars led by a professor, one-on-one professor-student mentoring, internships and other work experience, and networking opportunities with community leaders.
By combining a rigorous liberal arts and professional education with an engaged learning model and an emphasis on real world experience, Thales College students graduate in approximately three years with a wealth of knowledge, critical reasoning abilities, and employable skills. This allows graduates to enter the workforce and begin contributing immediately, far ahead of their peers exiting from traditional colleges and universities.
Dual Degree Program
- Every student will graduate with two bachelor's degrees: A B.A. in Liberal Arts and Sciences, and either a B.A. in Entrepreneurial Business or a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.*
- The B.A. in Liberal Arts and Sciences gives students the core knowledge needed to understand how human history has developed over time and how the human race can continue to progress in the future. The reading, writing, and critical reasoning skills gained through classical liberal arts study are invaluable in any profession, preparing students to make decisions and communicate in the real world.
- The B.A. in Entrepreneurial Business thoroughly prepares students to lead in any type of business or management role. Students will learn the finer details of effective business, including decision making, the role of economics in real world dynamics, people management, accounting, business law, and other topics. Experts in the field of business are studied at length.
- The B.S. in Mechanical Engineering prepares students for a wide range of technical, sales, and industrial careers. Students will learn the fundamental principles of mechanical engineering, including material properties, technical drawing, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, mechatronics, and other topics. Students have the opportunity to practice what they learn in an operational manufacturing facility. Due to the extra courses needed to complete an engineering degree, students in this program are required to complete an additional two terms of coursework.
* License approved to offer a B.A. in Liberal Arts and Sciences and a B.A. in Entrepreneurial Business. License application is in preparation for a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.
The Thales College Experience
Thales College is designed as a unique hybrid education model. Students learn through a flipped format – viewing lectures at home on their own time, and coming to class each morning for group discussions and mentoring sessions. Afternoons are kept free of class commitments to allow students the opportunity to intern at local companies and organizations.
- Thales College students are expected to complete online courses on their own time, as we utilize a flipped classroom model. Students first learn content through online lectures at home, and later enhance their learning on campus through class discussions.
- Online lectures are taught by the best professors available, who are masters at their subjects and expert teachers.
On-Campus Group Discussions
- Each morning, students convene on campus for professor-led class discussions, following the Socratic Method of discussion-based learning. These seminars allow students to ask questions, expand their learning, and come to a greater understanding of the topic through interpersonal dialogue.
- Students are encouraged to challenge each other, in a lifelong effort of discerning the truth and improving their knowledge and character.
- In-person class time allows students to learn together as a cohort, providing community as well as shared learning opportunities
- Small class sizes ensure personalized attention and the ability to excel in a safe and welcoming environment.
- Weekly, students meet with a professor one-on-one for mentorship and a unique teaching style modeled after the University of Oxford’s “Oxford Tutorial.” Professors push students to expand their learning, come to new conclusions, and more deeply understand the content being studied. This teaching style is rigorous but is well-known for fostering student self-confidence and robust critical reasoning abilities.
- In addition, professors offer personalized mentoring and advising to assist students in developing a fulfilling career path tailored to their unique interests and abilities.
Internships & Work Experience
- Every afternoon, beginning in Term 3, Thales College students have the opportunity to participate in paid internships and work experiences throughout their time at TC. Developing real work experience and career skills is critical to success in the workplace following graduation. In addition, internships provide a low risk opportunity for students to explore a variety of careers before committing to a specific role or industry.
- “Interning while I was in school felt like earning a second college degree—It gave me the opportunity to learn new skills every day. I was able to take part in projects that were truly important and useful to the company. These experiences provided me with a fantastic opportunity to grow into an independent critical thinker and the confidence to take on any project. If there’s one thing I learned while interning, it was how to learn. I was expected to be a self-starter and to chart my own course. Help was always available if needed, but continuous learning was the name of the game. I learned to challenge the status quo. ‘Good enough’ was never enough. There is always room to improve goals, processes, and results.” – Former Student Intern turned Corporate Professional
- Throughout each academic year, Thales College hosts successful individuals from a variety of backgrounds and industries. These individuals spend time teaching students the wisdom they have learned over the years in their respective fields, and this experience allows students to ask questions and receive guidance as they navigate their own paths in life.
- In addition, many course assignments require students to interact with individuals in the local community, allowing them to build further connections with local professionals.
Thales College’s goal is to provide all of the necessary skills and knowledge needed to be a competent contributor in the workplace and the broader community. We are continually improving our curriculum to serve our students and help each individual fulfill their unique potential.